ROLL OUT DINNER IN A FLASH
This Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Roll-Up recipe is a total hit in my house! Let’s be real, you probably don’t want to crank out a legit lasagna in the middle of a busy week. The good news is that this delicious lasagna hack gives you all the same Italian comfort food vibes with none of the hassles.
Pasta: This recipe makes ten servings, so you’ll need ten lasagna noodles.
Chicken: You’ll need 3 cups of cooked, shredded chicken. You can boil and shred 2-3 chicken breasts or opt to save some time and use a rotisserie chicken instead.
Cheese: What’s a lasagna without a myriad of cheeses?! Of course, you’ll need Ricotta, shredded mozzarella, and freshly shredded parmesan.
Seasoning: Nothing fancy here. Ensure your pantry is stocked with salt, Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Sauce: The key to this recipe is the addition of creamy Alfredo sauce! You’ll want two jars of it on hand for these Chicken Lasagna roll-ups.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ALFREDO LASAGNA ROLL-UPS
STEP ONE: Start by cooking 10 lasagna noodles in boiling water per the package directions. You’ll want them al dente, so be careful not to overcook them. Once drained, lay the noodles flat on a piece of parchment paper on a flat surface.
STEP TWO: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. While the oven heats, grab a large mixing bowl. Mix 3 cups of cooked, shredded chicken, 16 ounces of Ricotta cheese, a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and a half teaspoon of onion powder and garlic powder.
STEP THREE: Spread about 3 ounces (close to 1/2 cup) of the chicken mixture over each lasagna noodle, leaving about 1/3 of the noodle bare on one end. Top the chicken mixture with one tablespoon of Alfredo sauce on each roll up. Once the lasagna noodles are topped, begin rolling each noodle, starting with the topped end and rolling towards the bare end.
STEP FOUR: Add 1 cup of Alfredo sauce to the bottom of a casserole dish, spreading it evenly to cover the bottom. Carefully place each lasagna roll up into the dish and pour 1 1/2 cups of Alfredo sauce over the roll ups. Finish prepping the Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Roll Ups by topping them with 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of freshly shredded parmesan cheese.
STEP FIVE: Cover the casserole dish with tin foil and bake it for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and bake it for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- I always recommend shredding cheese from a block instead of buying it pre-shredded. Fresh parmesan and mozzarella cheese off the block is a literal game-changer.
- Deboning and shredding a rotisserie chicken is a great way to save time and effort.
- You can prep this meal ahead. Follow the recipe to the point that the roll ups and sauced and the cheese is on top. Then cover the dish with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge. Then uncover and bake when you’re ready. This is a great way to get ahead in the morning when you have a busy day.
HOW TO FREEZE AND REHEAT LASAGNA ROLL UPS
To freeze the Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Roll Ups, follow the recipe instructions to the point where they should go in the oven. Instead of baking them right away, place them in an airtight container and store them in the freezer. You can store them all together or break them up into individual portions for easy access. When you are ready to serve them, simply remove them from the freezer, place them in the refrigerator, and let them thaw overnight. Once thawed, simply bake them following the remaining recipe directions.
LASAGNA ROLL UP VARIATIONS
If you’re not in the mood for a creamy Alfredo lasagna, you can swap out the Alfredo sauce for a couple of jars of your favorite pasta sauce. I’ve used traditional marinara sauce, creamy rosé sauce, and even vodka sauce in this recipe. You could even make half of your roll-ups with one type of sauce and the other half with a different type.
Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Roll Ups
- 10 lasagna noodles
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded (see note)
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups Alfredo sauce divided
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, lay the noodles out on a flat surface, and pat dry with paper towels. (I suggest using a piece of parchment paper).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the shredded chicken, ricotta cheese, salt, Italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder until well combined.
- Spread about 3 ounces of the chicken mixture (1/3 to 12/ cup) over each noodle, being sure to leave 1/3 of each noodle bare. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of Alfredo sauce over the chicken filling on each noodle.
- Starting at the cover end of each noodle, roll them up toward the bare end until they're all rolled up.
- Add 1/2 cup of Alfredo sauce to the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Place each lasagna roll up into the casserole dish seam side down. Pour the remaining 1 1/2 cups of Alfredo sauce over the lasagna roll ups. Top with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and continue to bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle chopped parsley over the top before serving warm with extra sauce drizzled over the top, if desired.