Bold cheesy flavors with a gentle kick, Easy Chicken Queso Dip is a snap to make for any occasion, and it’s ready in 20 minutes! Simply stirring together Velveeta, Rotel, black beans, shredded chicken, and taco seasoning makes a crazy delicious dip that no one wants to stop eating!
WINNING ON GAME DAY
On game days, potlucks, parties, or just for when a few friends are coming over, Easy Queso Dip is what I make every time. When friends ask me what they should bring, I tell them to bring more chips because this dip is the only thing we want to eat! This queso dip is so cheesy and filling, thanks to the black beans and chicken, and even when I make a double batch we always seem to run out! You can’t lose with this amazing dip!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH EASY CHICKEN QUESO DIP
- It does feel like you can’t have queso dip without a Frozen Margarita. Blend up plenty because everyone’s going to want one!
- Sometimes those early game days go long and before you know it, it’s dinner, so keep the queso theme going with Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos!
Pantry Items: For creamy queso, you will need Velveeta cheese and a can of Rotel. You will also need a can of black beans and a packet of taco seasoning- any brand is fine, or you can use Taco Seasoning.
Chicken: You will need cooked and shredded boneless chicken breast. If you don’t have time to cook and shred this, then you can also purchase a rotisserie chicken to shred.
Milk: To prevent the queso from getting too thick, you will need a little milk- whatever you have on hand will work.
Garnish: Pick up a small bunch of green onions to garnish the top of the dip.
HOW TO MAKE EASY CHICKEN QUESO DIP
STEP ONE: Using a medium saucepan, add the Velveeta and Rotel and gently heat on medium until melted.
STEP TWO: Add the shredded chicken, black beans, and taco seasoning to the cheese. Stir everything together.
STEP THREE: Stir in some of the milk. If you like your queso a little thinner or creamier, you can add a little more milk.
STEP FOUR: Pour the queso dip into a bowl and garnish with sliced green onions and serve with tortilla chips.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- If you like spicier dip, you can add a small can of jalapenos or chop up one or two fresh jalapenos to add to the dip and kick the heat level up, but Rotel brings a nice level of heat that most people can handle.
- Toss this dip in a crock pot to keep it warm for as long as it lasts. It goes pretty fast, though! If you do manage to have leftovers, you can put them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. To reheat this dip, gently warm it in a saucepan or microwave it for short intervals. The Velveeta does not freeze well, so storing this in the freezer isn’t recommended.
- Keep this recipe even simpler, or if you’re short on time, pick up a rotisserie chicken to shred. Then all you have to do is dump in the ingredients, heat everything up, and then chow down!
WHAT GOES WELL WITH QUESO DIP?
When it comes to putting out things to dip into queso, the possibilities are endless! Obviously, there are tortilla chips, Fritos, and veggies but don’t stop there! Put this dip on tacos or fajitas to have it with a meal or make up baked potatoes, potato wedges, or potato skins and top them with this queso. Big soft pretzels are super delicious with queso too. And while you shouldn’t put this dip in it or on it, nothing goes better with queso than a big, cold margarita.
WHAT CHEESE CAN I USE INSTEAD OF VELVEETA?
When it comes to queso, there are not many kinds of cheese that can match how melty and cheesy Velveeta is- it makes queso so rich and easy to make! But not everyone is a fan of Velveeta, and that’s ok. There are a few other kinds of cheese that can be used. You can cube American cheese, Cheddar, or Colby Jack and melt that in a saucepan to make queso, but you may need to adjust the amount of milk you add. You want to use only enough to make the cheese creamy and not too firm. This process will take a little longer but will be worth it if you avoid Velveeta because this dip is that good!
Easy Chicken Queso Dip
- Medium Saucepan
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese diced
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes drained
- ¼ cup milk plus more as needed
- 1 ounce taco seasoning (1 packet)
- ½ cup canned black beans drained
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast cooked and shredded
- Green onions thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1 Roma tomato diced, for garnish
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the Velveeta and Rotel to the pan. Cook until melted together, stirring occasionally.
- Once melted, stir in the black beans, taco seasoning, and shredded chicken.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of milk. You can add more milk if you want the dip creamier and a little thinner.
- Pour the chicken queso into a serving dish and top with diced tomatoes and sliced green onions if desired. Serve warm with tortilla chips.